The present church was built in 1860 thanks to the generosity of the Boates family of Rose Hill and is dedicated to St. Hilary.
A previous church on this site was in 1692 dedicated to St. Erbin, it was a timber - framed building with a thatched roof and was rebuilt in 1748 due to a constant need for repairs.
Various members of the very generous Boates family donated all the beautiful stained glass windows in memory of family members.
The reredos has 3 compartments supported by marble columns and surmounted by a hooding of a vine pattern depicting the Last Supper.
Among the richly carved capitals of the pillars, the most westerly has the head of a female peeping out from among the flowers. At the apex of each sandstone arch dividing the aisles from the nave are other carvings of human heads.
The polygonal pulpit is of Caen stone with alternative carved panels and surrounded with a corbel band. The beautiful chandelier dates back to 1860.
There are many more interesting aspects of this beautiful church nestled on the tranquil banks of the River Dee which are well worth investigating.
Situated on the banks of the River Dee in the small village of Erbistock
The historic Boat Inn is situated right next to the church
Parking available in the Boat Inn car park, meals and refreshments are available all year round
Lots of footpaths open to the public in the area
Walks along the banks of the River Dee starting from the Boat Inn car park and the Cross Foxes Inn, Overton
The Garden House - Garden Centre and Tea rooms Erbistock
(Open March - October)
The Plassey Craft Centre
Tel: 01978 292015
Daily dawn til dusk.
St Hilary's Church, Marchwiel
Download the leaflet in the following format:
To view and print PDF files, you must have Adobe® Acrobat® Reader installed: click the logo below to download the software.
Adobe Acrobat documents can be converted back to plain text using Accessible Adobe® Reader.